Best practices in municipal ethics programs
I will be posting some of the best ideas from these programs on this site.
If you have comments on what is written, good, bad or just a stray idea, please comment!
Carla Miller, president, City Ethics.
The first BEST PRACTICE entry is "Ethics Program Essentials".
These are key points to consider when starting an ethics program. Click HERE to go to the full description.
Ethics Program Essentials
- Ethics Officer
- Hot Lines and Whistle-Blower Protection
- Values Based Program
- Ethics Code
- Independent Ethics Commission
- Financial Disclosure
- Campaign Financing, Elections
10 problem areas
(From the Josephson Institute)
- Gifts/Golf/Sports Events/Freebies
- Special Loans/Deals
- Consulting Fees
- Government Contracts
- Honoraria and Speaking Fees
- Using Government Resources (Internet; Cars)
- Hiring Relatives
- Leaving Government (who do you work for?)
- Political Intervention